In 2012 the Archives and Special Collections digitized all of the New Bedford Textile School yearbooks and catalogues through the Boston Library Consortium’s OCA (Open Content Alliance) scanning project with the Internet Archive. They are accessible through the Internet Archive portal at http://www.archive.org. Search “New Bedford Textile School;” there are several viewing options for each item digitized. The New Bedford Textile School, chartered by the Commonwealth in 1895, and officially opened for business in 1899, is a predecessor institution of UMass Dartmouth. Featured in this post is a link to the very first catalogue published, from the first year the school was open for enrollment, 1899-1900. The direct link to the 1895 catalogue is at < http://www.archive.org/details/catalogue00newb >.
Remember when access to the library’s collection of books depended on how thoroughly you looked through the card catalog? For the first twenty years after the UMass Dartmouth Library opened in 1972, students, faculty and staff primarily used the card catalog for their research. A card for a single volume was duplicated many times and cross-listed under various subjects pertinent to its content, the author’s name, the title, and other access points. UMass Dartmouth Library had rows and rows of oak card file furniture which contained almost two million cards at one time. In 1991 it began its decline into obsolescence; in September of that same year, the catalog went online for the first time, with the implementation of MultiLIS. The purchase and installation of this software to automate the library was funded through an HEA Title IID College Library Technology and Cooperation Grant shared with Bridgewater State College. The process of conversion began sometime in the late 1980s, in preparation for software installation in 1990.
The online public access catalog has been upgraded a couple of times since 1991, most recently with our implementation of Primo, the new discovery search and delivery service. The oak cabinets were removed several years ago. The following images are of original cards from the catalog; a student using MultiLIS, with the old card catalog still in use (a transitional period no doubt); the library newsletter announcing the first online catalog; a student using a public access terminal with a printer; and the Claire T. Carney Library Learning Commons today. The photos were all taken by the library’s Photographics Department at one time or another.
Author and historian Donald Warrin has donated his research materials to the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese-American Archives. This collection is composed of copies of the primary and secondary sources that were used in the writing of So Ends This Day: The Portuguese in American Whaling, 1765–1927 and Land, As Far As the Eye Can See: Portuguese in the Old West both published by Tagus Press of the Center for Portuguese Studies and Culture at UMD. The collection contains materials that were not included in their respective books, Dr. Warrin’s personal documents regarding the materials, and auxiliary information regarding Portuguese immigrants in the United States.
Land, As Far as the Eye Can See: Portuguese in the Old West was recently reprinted and is described by the publisher as “An entertaining and innovative account of pioneering Portuguese men and women who settled the vast frontier of the American West”. It tells the story of enterprising Portuguese immigrants into the wider story of the Old West with biographies that include those who stood out and glimpses of obscure yet important settlers.
The collection will be available for public consultation in the next couple of months.
The Archives and Special Collections recently received this rare book as a gift from the late Mrs. L. Meiling Yen of Mattapoisett, MA. Published by the Chinese-American press in 1944, it documents the trip of Madame Chiang Kai-shek (Soong May-ling) to the United States and Canada in 1943. Madame Chiang was the wife of Generalissimo and later Republic of China President Chiang Kai-shek, who was in office from 1948 to 1975 . During World War II, Madame Chiang travelled around the world to promote the Chinese cause and build a legacy for her husband on par with Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. She was educated in the United States and was fluent in English. Well versed in both Chinese and western culture, she became popular both in China and abroad. Soong May-ling made several tours to the United States to lobby support for the Nationalist’s war effort. She drew crowds as large as 30,000 people and in 1943 made the cover of TIME magazine for a third time. She had earlier appeared on the October 26, 1931 cover along-side her husband and on the January 3, 1937 cover with her husband as “Man and Wife of the Year.” On February 18, 1943, she became the first Chinese national and the second woman to address both houses of the U.S. Congress. On that same trip, as laid out in this book, she visited New York City, where she gave a speech at Madison Square Garden on March 2; Boston, where she made a trip to see her Alma Mater, Wellesley College, and gave an address on March 7; Chicago, with an address at Chicago Stadium on March 22; San Fransisco, where her speech was at the Civic Audorium on March 27; and finally, Los Angeles, with an appearance at Hollywood Bowl. Madame Chiang received the world’s outstanding woman award from Eleanor Roosevelt on this 1943 trip.
“Stop Mis-Filing! Use this New ‘Y and E’ Direct Name system of Vertical Filing” is the title of a trade publication from Yawman and Erbe Mfg. Co. of Boston, MA. It is part of a collection of trade literature and mechanical equipment catalogues found within the records of the Winthrop C. Durfee Dye Company, 1890s-1929 at the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections. The records document the professional life of an independant drysalter and chemist-merchant that provides information on the commercial textile-dyeing industry in the United States at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th. There are several trade flyers and catalogues selling the latest in office supplies, furnishings, filing systems and document duplication systems in the early 20th century.
In 1911 the city of Fall River celebrated the Cotton Centennial Carnival, which marked one hundred years of achievement in cotton manufacturing. “Fall River Looms Up” was the slogan for the festivities that lasted six days, June 19th through the 24th. There were parades, including the Grand Carnival Parade, and the Trades Parade, and a horse show; plus the circus was in town. The highlight of the week,however, was a visit from President Taft on Friday. The president arrived aboard the presidential yacht, the Mayflower, and was greeted by Governor Eugene Foss and Mayor Higgins and a 21-gun salute.
This photographic postcard is in the collections of the Archives and Special Collections, and is one of many that exist documenting the Cotton Centennial Carnival and all of its festivities. Durfee High School owns a collection of Cotton Centennial Photos. To view, see the list at http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fallriver.htm.
This color photo was taken by Joseph W. Molitor for the Architectural Record article on the SMTI campus, which appeared in print in October 1966. It depicts the South Lounge in Group I, now the Liberal Arts Building (LARTS). At the time UMass Dartmouth’s official name was SMTI, or Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute. The campus, including the Group I building, was designed by Paul Rudolph. The article caption reads “Large banners and an orange carpet bring color and warm reflected light to one of the major circulation spaces. Topmost balcony is a faculty lounge, other seating areas are for students. Curtains are steel mesh. Seating areas are popular and the space has also been used for an opera workshop performance. “ What the article does not mention is that there was a working fireplace in the lounge. The best features of Group I are now reinterpreted in the new Claire T. Carney Library space, which also has not one, but two, working fireplaces, dazzling orange carpet, mesh “screens” on the outside of the windows, and the bold architectural shapes and textures cast in concrete that were the signature of Rudolph.
Architect Paul Rudolph and the firm Desmond & Lord created this plan for the campus in 1965 or 1966, when UMD was known as SMTI, or Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute (established in 1960). It laid out the location of major campus features — the academic buildings, the parking lots, Ring Road, the library and amphitheater, and the athletic fields. The campus and its relation to Cedar Dell Pond is striking. Trees were cleared starting from library, at the center, and moving straight out to the pond, which resulted in a sweeping vista of open space. Although Rudolph was not directly involved in the design and construction of more than a handful of structures on campus, his overall design was carefully followed. For more information on Paul Rudolph’s designs for the UMass Dartmouth campus, visit the Claire T. Carney Library’s web site “Paul Rudolph and His Architecture” at http://prudolph.lib.umassd.edu/. The master plan drawing is in the collections of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections.
As part of the library construction project, the archives will be getting some additional fire suppression equipment installed. We will reopen with regular hours on January 2nd.
Only two more days left to view this exhibit of Portuguese traditional sea-themed nativity scenes made by local artisans! The first lapinhas were made by nuns in convents in the 17th century in S. Miquel, Azores. They were decorated with miniature shells, artificial silk flowers, feathers, fish scales, wax, papers and cotton, and the focus were the clay figurines that represented the Holy Family. Local artisans continue this long tradition. Last year, the Casa dos Acores New England sponsored an artisan to travel to Providence to teach a class. The presepios de lapinha on display in the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese-American Archives through December 13, 2012 were made by women in this class.