The Espírito Santo School in Fall River, Massachusetts recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. It was the first Portuguese parochial school in the United States, opening its doors September 19, 1910. The Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese-American Archives holds many interesting historical photographs documenting different aspects of the local Portuguese community, including this one of the school’s dedication on Labor Day, September 5th, 1910. Bishop Daniel Feehan provided the blessing for the new school. The crowd is gathered in front of the original rectory. Two hundred and twenty pupils, 104 boys and 116 girls, enrolled as the first class, were also present for the opening ceremonies. To read more see this article at ojornal.com.